German Fattie

TentHunter

I'm always looking for new fattie ideas. I hadn't made one in a while and I have a new Bratwurst recipe to try, so a German Fattie seemed to be the ticket.

Two pounds of ground pork, the spice mix & some water ready to be mixed.
GRMFTTY1.JPG

Mixing the Bratwurst
GRMFTTY2.JPG

Assemble the fattie with some cheese & grilled onion, then roll up in a bacon weave.
GRMFTTY3.JPG

A little course black pepper then onto the MAK for a Smokin' good time!
GRMFTTY4.JPG

Mmm-mmm, it sure smells good!
GRMFTTY5.JPG

GRMFTTY6.JPG

Served with some Kraut & Mustard Potato Salad.
GRMFTTY7.JPG

I like this recipe; definitely a keeper!

Thanks.

ACW3

Nicely done, Cliff. There is some out of the box thinking that went into this meal. A bratwurst fatty that gets served with the kraut and potato salad. Since Sparky didn't say it, I will. One plate, please.

Art

TentHunter

Thanks everyone. :)

Sparky, I really liked the flavors of this. I've made Bratwurst before, but this was definitely some of the best bratwurst I've ever had, period.

This was an old world German style brat not a Wisconsin style brat (Beer Brats) which usually adds sugar. It had that classic Bratwurst taste, because of the Nutmeg, but it was deeper and more complex with the addition of the caraway, which is not usually in Wisconsin style brats.

Last edited:

TentHunter

You got it! :)

This is a German style bratwurst, not a Wisconsin style that we typically get here in the U.S.

By the pound:

1 lb Fresh Ground Pork
3/4 - 1 tsp. Pickling Salt (non- iodized, or kosher salt will work - I use 3/4 tsp. for lower salt)
1/2 tsp. White or Black Pepper (White is traditional)
1/2 tsp. Marjoram
1/4 tsp Caraway seed
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1 oz. Cold Water

Mix the spices & water together, add to the meat & mix thoroughly

Salmonsmoker

Great fattie Cliff!
I have some homemade German sauerkraut fermenting right now, and some of my fresh Ger. brats in the freezer. When the kraut's done I think one of those fattie's are in order. Think I'll put the kraut in the fattie before smoking. Oh yeah! Drool......

SoDakSmokerGolfer

I can't wait to see how it turns out!

TentHunter thanks again... It turned out wonderful. I have never really loved the beer brat flavor... I like. As a kid I spent a good bit of time in Germany and this really spoiled me we it came to brats. Your recipe really nails the Nuremberg type brat... Happens to be my favorite. Thanks again for posting this.

When it first came off the grill.

View attachment 1699

Top Bottom