Suckling pig on a pellet grill

bedn0009

Hello,

I've been researching for a week, and opinions on how to do a suckling pig on a pellet grill are absolutely all over the map...
From 12 hrs @ 225 to 4 hrs @ 300. Completely random... with too many "if I did one I'd do this" opinions and whole-hog comparisons.

I'm making a 30 lb suckling for the football games tomorrow on my Yoder YS640, and would love any last minute tips from anyone who's cooked one. I'm planning to brine it all day today and then begin the cooking process. I'd prefer to roast than smoke I think...

Thanks

TentHunter

You will get opinions all over the place with a suckling pig just the same as you will for how to cook pork butts. Time and temp is really subjective. So let's talk some common sense here.

We're talking about doing a suckling pig for my son's graduation. Here's my game plan and some things to think about:

► I know from cooking many whole shoulders that larger, whole cuts take longer to cook and get a little less smoke flavor. That's because there's less overall surface area compared to cutting the meat into pieces.

► I'll cut the rib bones and splay the piglet open so it lays flat (like a spatchcocked chicken), and cook it skin-side-up which will help to trap heat.

► To get more smoke flavor, I'll start the piggy at a lower temp of 225° and insert a couple temperature probes into the hams and shoulders to monitor the Internal temp.

Once the outside layer of meat has reached 140°, and the cell walls have tightened, smoke absorption practically stops, so you might as well increase the pit temp to 250° - 275° to help it move along. It will continue to get smoke adherence.

Doing it that way, I expect a 30 lb piglet to take a good 8 hours. But I ALWAYS leave extra time!

► For pulled pork the shoulders are the most critical to be sure they are tender.

► The Hams will be the thickest cut. If for some reason they aren't tender enough to pull, NO PROBLEM! The hams are great for slicing, and will give some variety.

► Other parts, such as the rib & loin areas can be pulled or sliced as tenderness allows.

Whatever you do:

1) NO NOT keep lifting the lid to sneak a peek! LEAVE IT CLOSED and trust your pit temps!

2) Allow MORE time than you think you need. If you think you need 8 hours, allow 10. If it's gets done quicker, no problem throttle the smoker down to smoke mode to keep it hot. You will NEVER be sorry that you allowed extra time!

► Be smart; get yourself, a good pair of insulated gloves for handling that hot piggy!

These are great! https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/neoprene-double-insulated-gloves

Oh yeah... Welcome to the forum! Be sure and get some pics of your suckling piggy to share with us!

Last edited:

bedn0009

OK... so here's what I ended up doing.

- I had a 31 pound piglet. This size fits perfectly in a Yoder YS 640.
- I brined for 8 hours (likely not long enough to do any significant benefit, but I ran out of time)
- I seasoned inside and out with Lawry's seasoned salt and granulated garlic
- I stuffed with 3 oranges, 2 limes, a bunch of cilantro and an onion... kind of a cuban pork theme
- I wired the cavity shut
- I covered the snout and ears with foil (important)

- I smoked at 225 for 8 hours. That got the shoulders/hams to about 155/160 degrees.
- Then I turned up the heat to 300 for about 2 hours to get the meat to 175/180 and then back down to 225 for another hour or so while I awaited my target carving time.
- I basted 3-4 times throughout the last 4 hours wil olive oil.

This pig turned out very juicy, and the appearance (and smell) was all you could have asked for - it looked and tasted excellent. The skin was very crispy - but tough. I ate some, but you really had to chew it. I wonder if cooking at a higher temp might change this.

As for serving, I simply took everything out of the cavity, and started carving off the loins and subsequently the hams. I left a knife by the pig and everyone basically took off what they wanted.

The only thing I'd consider doing differently would be brining at least overnight, and POSSIBLY cooking at 325 or so for 4-6 hours instead of the overnight smoke and seeing how it turned out. I can't imagine that the meat could be any better, but the skin might be easier to eat.

It's not a difficult cook by any means, my only hesitation was a lack of a definitive road map to success. Hope this helps with that.

TentHunter

Thanks for posting your results. Info like that is ALWAYS useful!

But... no pics? Bummer, 'cause I bet it was a sight to behold.

Pork skin is always a bit tough, unless you cut it up and fry it into Chicharrones (fried pork rinds or sometimes called cracklin's).

Top Bottom